SINATRA will feature Sinatra at the Sands, the iconic 1966 album with the Chairman, the Count Basie Orchestra, and the incandescent talent of Quincy Jones as Music Director, Conductor, and Arranger.
Returning favorite, vocalist Michael Andrew, brings Sinatra’s swagger and style back to the stage. Michael performed two Sinatra programs with the POPS, including 2015’s Sinatra: A Centennial Celebration and 2018’s Sinatra & Friends. Michael is an acclaimed singer, bandleader and an authority on Sinatra.
Making his debut with the POPS is explosive, Emmy award-winning guest conductor Rickey Minor. Rickey is a perfect fit for this program with household names experience—Aretha Franklin, Whitney Houston, Adele, and Jennifer Hudson—and as Quincy’s mentee and friend.
Sinatra started singing at the Sands in 1953, and by the early ‘60s, it had become the home of the Rat Pack. Quincy Jones first worked with Sinatra in 1958. Later, Sinatra hired Jones to arrange and conduct his second collaboration with Count Basie, It Might as Well Be Swing. Jones arranged and conducted a benefit, which featured the Rat Pack and the Count Basie Orchestra, and Jones was the arranger and conductor when Sinatra and Basie appeared on The Hollywood Palace TV show. After these performances, the three men were in-sync and primed for this historic live album.
When talking about Sinatra at the Sands in his autobiography, Q: The Autobiography of Quincy Jones, Quincy Jones said, “Frank was at the height of his powers then, and I was steering his musical ship, [the Count Basie Orchestra,] the greatest band in the world.”
See Michael Andrew talk about his greatest influence—Frank Sinatra!
• Come Fly With Me (Jimmy Van Heusen)
• They Can’t Take That Away From Me (George Gershwin)
• Get Me to the Church On Time (Frederick Loewe)
• Night and Day (Cole Porter)
• I Get a Kick Out of You (Cole Porter/Nelson Riddle)
• All of Me (Gerald Marks, Seymour Simons/Bill Byers)
• Ring-A-Ding-Ding (Jimmy Van Heusen)
• I Only Have Eyes for You (Harry Warren/Count Basie)
• I’m Gonna Sit Right Down and Write Myself a Letter (Fred Ahlert/Count Basie)
• Angel Eyes (Matt Dennis)
• Luck Be a Lady (Frank Loesser)
• Come Fly with Me (Jimmy Van Heusen)
•I’ve Got a Crush on You (George Gershwin/Michael Andrew)
• I’ve Got You Under My Skin (Cole Porter/Micheal Andrew)
• One for My Baby (And One More for the Road) (Harold Arlen/Johnny Mercer)
• Fly Me to the Moon (Bart Howard)
• You Make Me Feel So Young (Josef Myrow)
• One O’Clock Jump (Count Basie)
• The Lady is a Tramp (Richard Rodgers)
• My Kind of Town (Jimmy Van Heusen/Michael Andrew)
• That’s Life (Dean Kay/Kelly Gordon)
• New York, New York (John Kander)
(Repertoire subject to change)